Saturday, July 24, 2004

Wedding dinner tonight

I've got another wedding dinner tonight. Not feeling particularly excited about it since I'll be seeing my colleagues there again, albeit in evening gowns and unrecognisable hair-dos. Which reminds me - I have to choose what to wear. It's either the grey Thomas Smith shirt (which I wear to almost all weddings - now you know why I don't go to most weddings ?) or the grey G2000 shirt (which I wear when I lead worship - that's not the reason why I don't lead worship so often nowadays...). I don't suppose it matters. No one will be able to tell the difference. Besides, I'll be wearing my usual brown pastel tie. (It's not
mine actually. I found it lying around one day.)

I'm entering this phase of life where my friends and gasp! (even my brother) are tying the knot at astonishing speeds. I understand it's to avoid the magic number 35 (at least for the females - Down Syndrome risk increases after this age). I just heard one of my friends (my age) is expecting his third kid... THIRD KID ! Imagine the pressure, sleepless nights, crying babies ! Pardon me, but I'm just not strong enough for this. My kudos to him and those like him !

I imagine those near their golden age where their friends and gasp ! (even family) are dropping like flies ... I guess they are faced with the cruel reality of their own impending mortality. Something we younger creatures conveniently forget - until someone close to us and our age passes on.(yes, yes, I do know some euphemistic words...)

I hope I age gracefully or is it graciously. Whatever.  I don't care. I don't want to be a Peter Pan. Rather, I much prefer to be like Mother Theresa (save the osteoporosis and nun suit) - faced with external mortality and her own, she persevered on in her service to humanity and to God. She was called the "Living Saint". I suppose that's definitely better than a dead one ...

How on earth did I get to this morbid subject of death from a happy wedding ?

Oh yes .. the cycle and phases of life.

Hahaha .. I just realised ... WOMB to TOMB. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home