Sunday, December 26, 2004

Lessons from the field - Are you prepared ?

Deo received an sms from Tita requesting for medical help for typhoon flood relief work. One of the 2 doctors of our team was requested to go - it meant going back to IFL and flying via helicopter to the flood areas.

I jumped at the idea. Wah .. fly by helicopter sia ! Shiok !

Someone from Singapore smsed "Do you really have to go ? It's dangerous."

My reply "That's why I'm here for. To be available whenever, wherever, however."

Brave words. Almost bordering on proud.

Soon after, the reality hit me. We would be flying over NPA (read rebels) area. They wouldn't be very sympathetic towards military helicopters flying overhead.

Was I willing to risk a real danger to my life ? The climb up Dueg mountain suddenly paled in comparison.

Did I really mean what I said ? To be available regardless ?

The next 48 hours proved to be trying. I was sick with a low grade fever, sore throat, running nose and cough. We were stranded in different places, not knowing what the plans were, where we were headed.

As I surrendered myself to Him, there was peace. Peace amidst the uncertainty. Joy amidst the confusion. An assurance from Him who watches over my coming in and my going out.

The helicopter flight turned out greater than expected. We had free lodging at a "hotel", free dinner and breakfast. I had much needed sleep on a proper bed. Recovered sufficiently from my flu. Managed to attend to 100 + patients.

His grace is sufficient for me.

I would never have experienced all of that if I hadn't taken the first step of faith to go.

Am I prepared for more ?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home