Monday, September 13, 2004

To know, but to do ?

Yesterday's sermon was on "Treating people right". We learnt not to discriminate against or "towards" people, regardless of their status, race etc. Today, at work, I learnt it wasn't enough to just know about it. It is often necessary to do something about it.

We had 2 different ladies in labour today.

One was the First Lady of a certain neighbouring country. Her arrival created a not very small upheaval in our ward. The doors to other rooms had to be closed, hospital administration cleared the way for her arrival and the sisters actually "stood at attention" to welcome her.

The other was an over-stayer from a certain neighbouring country - a Cat A prisoner. Her arrival created a not very small upheaval in our ward - she was accompanied by 2 female guards. The door to her room had to be closed and the guards stay with her 24 hours to make sure she didn't run away - as if she could... she was strapped to the bed. But what made me mad was when I tried ordering pain relief for her labour pains. I was told by the guards. "You need to write a memo and fax it to our officer." Ok, I did it twice. She still didn't progress in her labour and the pains were becoming unbearable. I ordered an epidural.
"Oh... No, She can't have an epidural"
"Oh? Why?"
"She can't. I think it's a cost issue."
"Cost ? I pay taxes right?"
"Er .. ya. We also pay taxes."
"I don't understand. She needs an epidural. Who can I speak to ?"

In short, I had to call the HQ. Speak to the higher-ups. Get them to fax a form. Fill up the form. Fax it back. Wait for it to get approved. By which time, I half expected the baby to have swum out already ...
She finally got her epidural.


Two ladies. Both in labour. One was privileged. The other "unacceptable" (in the words of the movie "Terminal"). One could have whatever she asked for. The other was refused the basic relief from pain.
Could I have done nothing ? Of course. To do something more was really inconvenient. After all, I was already taking care of her as my patient - I didn't discriminate against her even though she was a "criminal" in the eyes of the law.
What if I did nothing ? Would I not have given my approving nod to what was already accorded to her - discrimination from quality care ?

Maybe mental "indiscrimination" is just not enough.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cranium said...

I hate the word "cost". Just as I hate the double standards nurses, admin staff and even doctors have.
Is a pregnant criminal not a mother too? IS a pregnant royalty more of a mother then the pregnant commoner?
Who determines who is more deserving?

Kudos to you bro. You went the extra mile. I'm sure the officers and nurses must be quite upset with you for the extra work and they better be ashamed that they are upset.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Womb2Tomb said...

I had a check this morning. She was in labour for another 7 hours before she gave birth. At least she was pain-free for that period.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home