Monday, December 19, 2005

Prologue Two - More than butterflies in the stomach

Right after I decided to take on the speaking engagement in Nov, I came down with terrible food poisoning.

I was puking and purging the whole night and the following day. I lost my appetite and strength. And faith ...

I remember coming to the church office on Wednesday (2 days before we were to leave for Philippines), looking pale and feeling terrible. I had to go to Jurong with Bro. Chua to pick up some medical donations. The 45 min ride to and fro were rather traumatic as visions of me puking into the van and road and Bro. Chua, purging by the "long kang" passed incessantly through my mind.

The thought of foregoing the Philippines trip with AGBC students became very real and inviting. What's more I would have more time to prepare for Pastor Mary's youth camp ! What a great excuse !

I came back to the church office for the final training session and meeting with the AGBC group. They prayed for a supernatural healing for me. In my mind, I was thinking, how was I to get fully well by Friday ? How was I going to adjust to the food there after a bout of severe food poisoning ?

"They shall walk, and not faint ..." I had forgotten fast.

That night was terrible. I spiked a temperature and developed chills and rigours. I could hardly hold my spoon to drink soup, as I was shivering so hard the spoon kept spilling... "Bacteremia" I thought. (translated as "bacteria in the blood") My kind brother suggested a visit to the friendly GP to get antibiotics. My increasingly worried aunt suggested hospital ...

My tired body cried "panadol..." So I took 2 panadol and tried to sleep. And I finally did.

The following morning was a miracle.

The shivering had disappeared. The diarrhoea and nausea miraculously disappeared. And my appetite miraculously appeared ! So much so I could even meet my cell group that night for dinner !

"Lord, there must be a purpose for me to go on this trip."

I sought forgiveness, gave thanks, and gingerly took the next step into the following few days in the mission field.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home