Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Back to the classroom ...

Ok, so I just signed up for a 3-month, once-weekly, 2-credit bible course on the "Life of Christ". Shouldn't be a problem I thought ... after all, I had more than 20 years of classroom experience under my belt. (besides, I don't think they're as stringent at bible college - I whispered to myself.)

Boy, was I wrong.

I was given what I thought was a 100+ page textbook on the harmony of the gospels. Then the real textbook came - all 500+ pages. Essential reading.

Then the first lesson last night. Homework. Every week. 2 written assigments. She will mark it depending on whether we were Bachelor's or Master's level. Both research based. Bibliographies needed from at least 5 academic sources ... Should be quite fun, I thought ... Until I read the questions ... *faint*

I finally chose my topic "Background study on the Jewish attitude towards the Sabbath." Mucked around the internet for a while. Gave up. Emailed the lecturer for pointers. In all my 20 years of schooling, I had NEVER emailed my lecturer for help.
Guess it's never too late to start.

The lecturer started the evening with a prayer, that the study would warm our hearts. At the end of the 2 hours, she exhorted us into action, based on what we had learnt. Then she prayed again for us. For one with an attention span of 20 minutes and a 1 hour bladder capacity, I was amazed I sat through all 2 hours ! (of course with the mandatory toilet break but nothing else !)

I left the class of 10 (comprising a Korean, an Indonesian, an NSF, a psychiatrist, a lawyer/judge I dunno, a few more I intend to get to know), feeling strangely warmed in my heart and stirred in my spirit, excited to have learnt new things from old scriptures of my Lord.

I can't wait for the next lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home