Sunday, January 22, 2006

Overdue - not the baby but the entry ...

So I did my first delivery in the mission field ... Just when I was wondering what I was there for in November ...

The village midwife was pregnant and in labour ... she had come down the mountain to Pastor Danny's house when she found out we were there. But since the contractions were weak and irregular, I told her it was not time yet ... "perhaps tomorrow ... or in a few days ..."

The truth of the matter struck me when we reached the village at Bayan Bayanan the next day for Sunday service ... I was promptly ushered into her hut where I found her huffing and puffing away ...

"Ok .." This was it ... Wait a minute ... no gloves ... no CTG machine (cardiotocograph machine to look at baby's heart rate and contractions)... no sutures ... (ARRRGH !!!!)

Back to basics ... I timed the contractions with my hands on the tummy. Used the stethoscope in a "vain" (both puns are accurate in this situation!) attempt to listen to baby's heartbeat ... and SCREAM ... examined the poor lady with my bare hands ... (contrary to everything I learnt about aseptic technique and universal precautions...)

Anyway I messaged back to Singapore (church and doctor friends alike) - I had to find a spot with a one bar reception ... - please pray no bleeding and everything goes well for mother and baby ...

I had no way of stopping any major bleed if there was... no sutures to stitch up any major tears ... Back to basics ... Back to relying solely on the Lord.

It was also hilarious that the Aeta women were helping me ... The mother and Kits (Pastor Danny's wife) were the only ones who understood English ... So you can imagine here I was shouting "Push ! Push !" in a timed fashion and the Aeta women were looking for the "push" - they thought push was something I was asking them to get.

Anyway ... all glory to God - no major bleeding, no tears ... Everything went so smoothly it was over in about 2 1/2 hours !

Oh yes ... I forgot to mention ... they found ONE glove for me in the end ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home